Our Name


oski-pimohtahtamwak otayisīniwiwaw (Nehiyawak)
oski pima ci-owat ici ki-kay-dam-o-win-ing (Nakawē)
wana oicimani tecawosdodyē uncumpi (Dakota)
they are into their new journey to knowledge (English)





Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Wearing Shades


Wearing Shades
by Kaheau Ironeagle

When we walked into the banquet room I saw lots of people sitting at tables, enjoying themselves. I recognized some people from earlier in the week. The pot roast was pretty good. I liked the way that they made their cakes, like the chocolate kind and the carrot cake.

When Chris and Kallie got up to the microphone, they were thanking all the people who sponsored Atamiskākēwak and volunteered throughout the week. They congratulated us on being there, overcoming obstacles to help others. They invited people to go up and say some good words about how good it was to work with everyone throughout the week.

The guys were going up and I didn’t want to be the only person not going up. So I just went up there. It was damn nerve wracking. I was going to say lots, but I started shaking. I remember that I did say that everybody should be happy. I was thanking everybody.

It was a special moment to look back on. It was a fun week. In that moment it was exciting to talk to lots of people. It was fun. In some ways it was easy because I didn’t know the audience. I could see myself doing this again. Wearing a pair of shades, it’s easy.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment