Our Name


oski-pimohtahtamwak otayisīniwiwaw (Nehiyawak)
oski pima ci-owat ici ki-kay-dam-o-win-ing (Nakawē)
wana oicimani tecawosdodyē uncumpi (Dakota)
they are into their new journey to knowledge (English)





Thursday, May 3, 2018

Courage


Courage by Raven Cook

During a talking circle after the Blanket Exercise at River View Collegiate, this one person acknowledged how the blankets were folding up which is representing something such as how the land was stolen, the Indian act, residential schools etc. but he pointed out how they were slowly unfolding, I never really payed attention to that. When he pointed it all out he says, he was focusing on the positive, so what he had said made so much sense. It kept me thinking about everything.

We had our last Blanket Exercise at the Moose Jaw library Lacey and I facilitated. Michael came to support us, which meant a lot. The exercise went good. During the talking circle everyone had some nice heartfelt words to say; some said how they were feeling bad and guilty. I told them “we don’t do this to make anyone feel bad, that’s never our intention, it’s okay, I forgive you.” Maybe that’s something they needed to hear.

During the talking circle I shared how I wanted to help unfold the blankets, representing to help our people. I talked about not knowing where to start but it’s something I want to do. It was a good Blanket Exercise.  After the talking circle was over we did our reciprocity hand shake. A lady named Amanda came up to talk to me; she wanted to give me this necklace, the word “courage” was on the key, courage to use my voice. I’ll wear it all the time to remind myself when I do need some courage. If I find someone who needs courage I will pass it on and hope it means something to him or her, just like how much it means to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment