Our Name


oski-pimohtahtamwak otayisīniwiwaw (Nehiyawak)
oski pima ci-owat ici ki-kay-dam-o-win-ing (Nakawē)
wana oicimani tecawosdodyē uncumpi (Dakota)
they are into their new journey to knowledge (English)





Monday, December 18, 2017

A Real Nice Talking Circle

by Kaleya McNab
 


This is the day when my classmates and I went to Mr. Mohan’s Native Studies 10 class to do the Kairos Blanket Exercise. His class was very good and listened. They all participated in the KBE, but some of them were shy to read their scrolls, but they still read. I was even shy to read the European parts, even though I did the KBE a bunch of times. I can get shy to read because I don’t want to misread the script or the scrolls. The KBE has a lot of information about the 60’s scoop and residential schools and also talks about how the Europeans brought diseases and smallpox that killed thousands of people and how the Europeans took over land. It is kind of harsh to read the European parts. We even have some people cry while trying to read their scrolls because of how harsh it is. When I first did the KBE I was the narrator with one of my classmates a couple times then I started doing the European parts. We all take turns doing the KBE. After the end of KBE we do a talking circle; we can say whatever comes to our minds; it can be anything, then after we are done doing a talking circle we all shake hands and we say thank you for inviting us and having us.

No comments:

Post a Comment